Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Loleta Cheese Factory


You're going to want to stay a while.


Loleta, CA

I recently spent a weekend exploring Humboldt County, and Loleta was on my list for one reason: cheese. 

I was not disappointed. 

I never expect to see factory workers in full swing on a Saturday, so I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped inside the charming storefront of the Loleta Cheese Factory and found employees scurrying around enormous steel vats of milky curds in the middle of the cheesemaking process.  I was also pretty excited at the prospect of unlimited cheese samples; I mean, who wouldn’t be?

Large picture windows let visitors watch the entire process, from milk to cheese to equipment cleaning and sterilization.   Staff are on hand to answer all of your questions, such as “What do the cows eat?”, “What variety is being made right now?” and “Exactly how do you define unlimited cheese samples?”  All the while, workers are stirring curds, squeezing out whey and performing lots of other activities I’m probably not naming correctly.  On this particular day, they were also likely wondering how long I’d be staring into that picture window.

With dozens of varieties available, from cheddars to jacks to cheese curds, you’re sure to find a favorite.  Pick up a few flavors, pair them with some crackers and beverages (also sold on-site) and head outside to an expansive garden and picnic area.  Then, head back in for some last-minute tasting before hitting the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment